Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Community Service



You know how they say watch out for the small towns 'cause they are speed traps? Well I live in one of those small towns. Only, I think this is the worst speed trap out there! My parents warned us when we moved here that the cops will get you if you speed. So I made it a point to never go over the speed limit in this town. I mean how hard could it be? The town is only like 1 sq mile big, so I could keep my foot off the accelerator. So one day, shortly after we moved here, I saw the copper hiding out behind a big bush, but I seriously told myself I didn't have to worry becuase I don't speed here. Well I looked down and was going over 40 in a 30. I put on the brakes, hoping it was in time. I drove right past the guy and kept on driving. I kept looking in my rearview mirror and no sign of him. I thought I was good. Then like a whole minute later I looked back in my mirror and here was this guy with lights and all. I have no idea how long he had been trailing me since I hadn't looked since the initial passing of him. Needless to say, I got a ticket going 41. Now I am the kind of person who likes to follow the rules, I don't like to cause ruffles(is that the right frase?). Anyway, so my heart is pounding and I am sorry. My fine is huge! So I go to the judge and ask if I could do community service or something other than pay this exorbitant amount. I get stuck with 15 hours. So guess what I did? I had to pick up trash for like 11 of those hours and then I got to wash and vacuum the police cars for the other 4 hours. Why is it when you really want time to go fast, it goes the slowest. I hated doing that. Oh, but when I was washing the cars one time, these guys were totally making fun of me:) They were making comments like "doing time" and other juvenile things. I had to laugh. Anyway, I learned my lesson. I will remain trying to be a good citizen and not speed!

4 comments:

Megan said...

I am sorry Cumorah. I have never been caught for speeding (which I don't do very often.) I am glad your community service is over. Good for you for making the best of the experience.

Liz said...

That is hilarious Cumorah! I can't believe they gave you 15 hours! That's a long time for only speeding 10 miles over. Dang! What I would've given to see you picking up trash and wash those cars! Classic!

Anonymous said...

Wow, this story kinda reminded me about all the mishaps you had with your cars in highschool! Glad your community service is over, but I'm sure it was better than paying the crazy high fine. :)

-Susan

The Barton Family said...

I love your "mug" shot at the police station...glad to know you're not going to jail...besides, washing cars is way better than paying a ticket any day....this would make a cute Christmas card picture